Why is the CELTA the one ‘must-do’ course?
Look for any job abroad and you are bound to come across the Cambridge CELTA listed as one of the basic requirements.
There are so many very good reasons for this!
- The CELTA Certificate is recognised by employers worldwide
- As a trainee you go through a rigorous selection process
- Employers know you have been taught how to teach using your course-book as well as from material you have designed yourself!
- You have had plenty of opportunities to teach live classses (as opposed to online certificates which do not include teaching practicums)
- You were taught at a recognised centre by Cambridge approved tutors who have appropriate training qualifications and experience
- Each and every course is inspected for quality and moderated by Cambridge appointed assessors.
How many online cheap TEFL courses do you know that can offer so many guarantees?
Course Offerings – the Good News
Now you can follow the CELTA course choosing the mode that best fits your life, work and personal life! Choose
| Fully Online Part or Full Time | Face to Face in Athens | Blended or Mixed mode |
All CELTA courses include 6 hours of Teaching Practice per trainee – this means you will teach our adult classes 8 lessons of 45 minutes each with two different classes of adult learners, pre-intermediate and upper intermediate. Our learners come from far and wide giving you a truly international experience! But course delivery may vary:
– some of our courses are fully online (content delivery and teaching assessments all online)
– some are blended (content online; teaching assessments in Athens)
– some are mixed mode (content online and half the teaching assessments (4) online; the other half (4) in Athens)
– some are face-to-face in Athens (content delivery and teaching assessments in Athens)
Why you should do your CELTA with us!
Experience – Quality – Creativity – Top Tutors – Excellent Results
CELT has been operating as a teacher education centre since 1989 and is dedicated to the pursuit of excellence in all its teacher training programmes. It’s a top teacher education centre worldwide with an alumni list of more than 4000 candidates in all our teacher education courses. It has been an Authorised Cambridge Teaching Awards Centre for the Cambridge DELTA since 1989 and for CELTA since 2006. Since 2006, we have trained more than 1000 candidates on the CELTA course and our pass rate is 100%.
We guarantee excellence in:
- Quality of tutor input and support; please check our tutor profiles and qualifications here. Our team of international tutors has experience of supporting teachers from all over the world and linguistic and cultural diversity which enriches our training and relationships with our learners.
- A rich and varied ELT library with all the books you need for your background reading with a lifetime library membership for our trainees
- Fantastic teaching facilities at our new centre with all the necessary tech including IWB’s (interactive whiteboards), access to Wifi, library and Common Room for our trainees and access to local restaurants and shops – we are in the heart of the city centre.
- Unparalleled online support with special access to resources and self-access study materials
- Job support through our online closed community – during and after your course.
- A variety of course options and start dates available – full-time or part-time in Athens, fully online or, even, mixed mode or blended, with some of the teaching assessments online and some in Athens. It has never been easier to choose the best option for your needs!
- A strong alumni community and an international network of peers – we are a connected centre, with a strong presence through publications and conference presentations in person or online. Our presentations page will provide you with a multitude of links highlighting our reputation in the ELT community and our publications which are listed on the tutors’ page speak for themselves.
- A strong presence in all social media and online communities of ELT professionals through community work, volunteering, blogging and more! Our centre director was even nominated and was a finalist in the prestigious ELTons Awards for her work in creating and moderating free professional development for teachers on Twitter. Our Centre Director, Marisa Constantinides, is an international blogger, conference speaker and materials designer, who has put together a great team of CELTA trainers. Read our reviews and testimonies from our trainees here
And of course, attending the course takes place in Athens, one of the friendliest and safest cities in Europe is a great bonus for lovers of Greece, Greek history and the quick and easy access to some heavenly spots for a quick break during or after your course!
What you need in order to apply and be accepted
Many candidates worry that they do not know anything about teaching. Please don’t!!!
The CELTA course is exactly designed for teachers who may have no classroom teaching experience whatsoever! It is also often followed by experienced teachers who are looking for that extra international qualification that will boost their careers so there is a great opportunity to learn from one’s peers as well as from the tutors!
Ideally you should:
- have a standard of education equivalent to that required for entry into higher education
- be aged 18 or over
- have a standard of English which will enable you to teach a range of levels including advanced classes
- You may still be accepted if you do not have formal qualifications at this level but can demonstrate that you would be likely to complete the course successfully.
Your standard of English should be C1 or higher – if you don’t know your level, do take our free placement test here, then write to us to let us know.
Follow these instructions to apply:
- Download the Application Form CELTA and return completed to email@example.com
- Use the same email if you have queries or would like to talk to one of our tutors.
- Complete and send the application form to the centre
- Receive and complete a ‘pre-interview task’, a pre-course written assessment.
- Email answers to the task to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arrange a date and time when you can attend an online interview with the course tutor.
- If accepted, pay in your deposit to confirm your place, and begin your pre-course preparation tasks given to you by the centre.
If you are accepted and offered a place on the course, our accounts will contact you with information about the payment plan for your course option.
If your course is assessed online as it now, during the time of the Covid-19 pandemic, you will be asked to attend a short course to help you deal with the technical aspects to teaching online. This course is free of charge.
How Difficult is the CELTA?
The Cambridge CELTA is a demanding but highly rewarding course. During your attendance, you will be following seminars and workshops by top tutors and teaching our adult classes or observing fellow trainees teach these classes.
The course will equip you with all the basic teaching, planning and design skills you need in order to deal with any teaching problem.
What can I do to prepare for my course?
Our tutorial team has put together a free website which anyone wishing to apply to follow a CELTA can try to improve their language level on their own or with a colleague. Ask us for details once you apply. The results of solitary/individual work vary – some individuals may do well, others may benefit by attending our Language Awareness for Teachers of English course.
Cambridge ESOL has published a handbook which includes all the regulations and syllabus of the course. We have included it on the page in case you wish to read it before you apply. Click here to download the cambridge CELTA Syllabus Document
* The Cambridge Syllabus is in pdf format. Acrobat Reader can be downloaded from this link.
Send us an email from this page
If you email us from this page, do check your spam folder and enable all messages from celt.edu.gr